The European Union (EU) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) enforcement date is fast approaching. The regulation is both complex and far reaching and if organisations cannot demonstrate accountability for their data processing it will present a significant risk in terms of potentially large financial penalties and reputational damage.
What is the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)?
The GDPR governs how organisations collect, store and process personal data. It is designed to give greater transparency and protection to data subjects whenever their data is processed.
This regulation is essentially an upgrade to the current UK Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA).
What is Personal Data?
Personal data includes obvious information such as names, addresses, email address and so on but also extends to information such as online identifiers, photographs and location data to reflect changes in technology. The definition covers any information that can identify an individual, directly or indirectly.
The GDPR has 6 principles have to meet in order to process personal data lawfully as follows:
- Processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
- Collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary
- Accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date
- Kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed
- Processed using appropriate technical or organisational measures
One Compliance GDPR Services:
One Compliance offers a wide range of services to support your organisation in preparing for and maintaining compliance with the regulation. We always tailor our services to meet the needs of our clients.
One Compliance specialise in information security and compliance consultancy and have over 20 years of experience within these areas. Our consultants can support with any part of your GDPR journey.
One Compliance GDPR Consulting Services:
- Gap Analysis
- Privacy Impact Assessments
- Process Mapping
- Data Mapping
- Project Management support
- Policy Review & Packages
- General Remediation Work
- Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Please Contact us to arrange a discussion with one of our consultants.